The Siemens companies:
- Siemens & Halske AG, 1847-1966.
- Siemens-Schuckertwerke GmbH (later AG), 1903-1966.
- Siemens AG, since 1966.
It is not common knownledge that the Blockwerk of Siemens & Halske AG produced internal combustion engines for many years. They were supplied to provide power were electricity was not available or was no option.
In 1912, Siemens & Halske started making airoplane engines in Berlin. During the first World War large numbers of them were produced for the German forces. The airoplane factory was transformed into a seperate company in 1926, which was called Siemens-Flugmotorenwerk, Berlin-Spandau. Their tiller department produced the Siemens K5 walk behind tractor from 1931 till the end of production in 1935. The Flugmotorenwerk was assimilated into the Siemens Apparate und Maschinen GmbH in 1934.
In 1936, the engine production became a legally independent company by the name of Brandenburgische Motorenwerke GmbH, hence the well-known name Bramo. During autumn of 1938 the empire's Aviation Department (RLM) ordered the concentration of all development activities concerning air cooled radial engines. A development agreement between Bramo and BMW (Bayerische Motorenwerke, Munich) was signed. The BMW-Flugmotorenwerke GmbH, Munich, aquired the ownership of the Brandenburgische Motorenwerke in June of 1939, and with it of specialist factories in Basdorf and Zühlsdorf near Berlin. As a result, the Bramo engines were sold under the name of BMW-Flugmotorenwerke Brandenburg GmbH from autumn of 1939.
During the Second World War, Siemens generator sets were delivered with DKW two stroke engines. After the War, BMW (München) and Siemens continued their co-operation: many generator sets with a BMW engine and a Siemens-Schuckert generator were supplied to the German military.
Portable 1.8 kW X-ray generator set, powered by a single cylinder Siemens engine. The engine looks quite similar to the engines used on the early Siemens walk behind tractors in the early 20's.
Andreas Ledetsch from Berlin, Germany is looking for information on this Siemens & Halske twin cylinder generator engine, model 92642 (M2-Motor). Engine serial number is 9388, bore 60 mm, stroke 90 mm, 4 hp @ 1500 rpm. These generators were used during the first World War as power supply for air bases and searchlight batteries and as backup power for airships.
Andreas kindly supplied the pictures of the M2- and M4-Motors on this page.
M2-Motor in a radio generator set for use in airships. The radius during daylight was 150 km.
Siemens fire engine, belonging to Manuel Seco Rodenas, Spain. The engine model is 92543 (M4-Motor?), no. 6619. It was made around 1920.
Four cylinder Siemens M4-Motor as power source for a light plant, fitted inside an Adler light truck.
"Schwere Autostation im Großen-Hauptquartier mit M4-Motor".
Siemens searchlight fitted on a carriage, total weight 850 kg. The pylon could be raised up to 6 m. The power was supplied by the M4-Motor in the other carriage, with a total weight of 1000 kg.
Siemens LM8 home generator, picture from the M-Sammelliste 1934. Single cylinder, two stroke engine, ca. 1.5 hp. The 0.7 kW generator was available in 32 or 110 V DC, and 125 or 220 V AC. The set weighed 110 kg and cost 835 - 970 Reichsmark.
Picture from the "Siemens-Zeitschrift" May/June 1925: "The "Siemens-Hauszentrale" (home power plant) is primarily meant to supply electricity to country houses, farm houses and remote cottages. The plant's technical design allows simple operating and maintanance, and avoids damage by errors. The power plant was made to be used in a variety of different applications. The own batteries ensure a steady source of light and provide backup power in case of malfunction of the generator. If the batteries are out of order, the generator set can provide power directly to the circuit."
Siemens generator set LM22. The four stroke air cooled petrol engine has a bore & stroke of 70 x 100 mm (385 cm3) and developes 3 hp at 1500 rpm. The engine was made by Siemens & Halske AG, the generator by Siemens-Schuckert. The engine could be run on petrol and engine petroleum, and with the help of a fuel pre-heater, also on lamp petroleum.
The 1.5 kW set was meant as power supply for houses and farms without electricity connection. A battery was standard equipment: either 32 V and 109 Ah, or 65 V and 73 Ah; the battery could be fully charged in 4-5 hours. All the electrical controls and connections were in the box on top of the generator.
Siemens LM22 home generator 1.5 kW as offered in the M-Sammelliste 1934. For use as a battery charger the set was fitted with a DC generator, output was either 32 or 65 V, weight 205 kg and it cost 1250 or 1400 Reichsmark.
When used as direct power supply a DC generator for 110 or 220 V could be used, total weight 225 kg, price 1415 Reichsmark (use of paraffin possible for 39 RM extra).
The set was was also available with 12 V electric starting device in combination with a 110 V DC generator, and then had the model number LM30. Weight 225 kg, price 1900 Reichsmark. A 12 V battery could be purchased for 72 RM extra.
The Siemens LM22 was also available as a portable battery charger set, it was sold by the Siemens & Halske AG Wernerwerk F (F = Fernemeldetechnik) in Berlin-Siemensstadt. The Siemens-Schuckert VG56n generator's specifications were: 0.12 - 1.5 kW, 24 - 86 V DC, 17.5 - 25 A. The regulator unit was stored and transported in the wooden crate, which also contained the cables and the engine toolset.
Siemens LM22 engine, no. 27472. It is an air cooled four stroke petrol engine. The owner is engine collector Günther Werner in Germany. The picture is in the interesting book about German stationary engines Deutsche Stationär-Motoren by Armin Bauer, which is available from his Schwungradversand.
This Siemens LM22 generator set, no. 27586B from 1939, is in my collection. It was supplied new by Siemens & Halske on 25 May 1939, to the post office in Schmölnn, Thüringen, Germany. Total weight was 252 kg, I know from own experience that it takes four persons to carry it around!
This Siemens LM22, no. 27784B, is on display at the Auto- und Technikmuseum Sinsheim, Germany.
Where the 1.5 kW model was insufficient, a 4 kW model was available. The 8 HP engine was water cooled, and the switchboard was mounted seperately on the wall. The engine could also be used to drive machinery (water pump, saw, mill, ice machine or transmission) with the belt pully, but only when the generator was not under load.
Siemens home generator LM4 as displayed in the M-Sammelliste 1934. The engine is two cylinder fourstroke air-cooled. The 4.5 kW set was available in 3 variations:
- 110 V DC for loading batteries, 520 kg, 2700 Reichsmark
- 110 V DC to provide home power, with switch panel on the wall, 415 kg, 2325 RM
- 125, 220 or 380 V AC, with switch panel on the wall, 440 kg, 3460 RM
- 110 or 220 V DC, with built-on switch panel and electric starting device, 440 kg, 3380 RM.
All prices off factory in Vienna, Austria. But the batteries came directly from Berlin.
Emergency aggregate powered by submarine diesel engine. Year: 1940-41. Location: Gasometer Fichtestraße, Berlin.
Photo: Berliner Unterwelten e.V.
BMW four stroke engine, made by the Brandenburgische Motorenwerke GmbH in Berlin-Spandau. Spotted around 1997 at a machinery collector in Terwolde, Holland.
Siemens generator set from 1982 with BMW 403 engine, 6-7 hp @ 3000-3600 rpm. Voltage is 2 x 220 V, 2.0 kVA, 50 or 60 Hz. The generator was made by Siemens-Schuckertwerke AG.